List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kControl - File associations
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-05-30 18:43:19

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 18:28, Neil Stevens wrote:
> A note on koffice using Windows-style filename mangling...
>
> By using three letters instead of full descriptive names, there's already
> a conflict.
>
> .ksp means KSpread document, and Kivio Stencil Package.

Right :(

> If the tarring and zipping of the documents makes it impossible to use the
> file contents, then at least use descriptive mangling (.kword, .kspread).

On the contrary, the zipping is done in a way that allows identifying the type
of document inside it (see koffice/lib/store/SPEC).
That's the whole point behind this discussion: we
don't _need_ extensions (locally). But due to the remote case, and mailing
documents around etc., I'm conceding that we need extensions in some cases.
What still remains to be decided is whether the app should automatically add
the extension or not. After all I don't care much, but it just strikes me as a
major inconsistency with other KDE programs.