List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Intel Compiler Beta
From:       Michael Matz <matz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-29 15:11:31

Hi,

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Christoph Bartoschek wrote:

> > Currently Intel's icc isn't able to produce shared libraries out of box,
> > and even if it was, it wouldn't support static objects.
>
> I do not understand that. I've compiled qt and got the shared libraries. The
> programs in qt-2.3.0/examples work fine. They are all dynamically linked
> against libqt. That's why I would say icc is able to produce shared libraries.

Well, yes, sort of.  (Originally I thought it was worse than it is.  I
hadn't tested it thorough enough).  Basically icc can create DSO's, it
also seems to support static constructors, even whith dlopen().  But as
some further tests showed there are some strange bugs (which might also be
glibc bugs).  So I guess, we can try KDE and icc to see how far it comes.
Give me some days for the libtool part.

> What do you mean by supporting static objects? A link would be sufficient.

constructors/destructors for static objects need to be called at
appropriate times (e.g. when a DSO is dlopen()'ed which contains such
static objects).  I originally thought for some reason I don't remember
anymore, that icc wasn't supporting that correctly.  I had tested this
immediately as icc came out, but somehow I seem to have goofed it up.

> Till now I can only state that compiling qt was much faster than with
> gcc/g++ (7 min instead of 12 min), but this is not representative.

Indeed.

Ciao,
Michael.