List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: arts problem
From:       Richard Stevens <mail () richardstevens ! de>
Date:       2001-05-28 16:39:50

On Monday 28 May 2001 13:26, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
>    Hi!
>
> On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 03:57:26PM +0200, Richard Stevens wrote:
> > I'm running current CVS on RH7.1 with self compiled Kernel 2.4.5 and
> > sound compiled in the kernel.
> >
> > My problem is, arts cannot be started with kcminit. Kcminit arts just
> > returns without any error message but arts isn't started. If I start it
> > manually by just running artsd in a terminal, it works and I can hear
> > sound.
> >
> > Any Ideas? Any more information I can provide?
>
> Probably the settings you made in kcontrol are not the same settings that
> artsd assumes if you start it in a terminal. It might be things like full
> duplex, the supplied driver, the latency settings or similar.
>
> You usually can find artsd errors produced by a kcminit arts in
> .xsession-errors, or they will be shown as message boxes via artsmessage,
> depending on your kcontrol settings.

Thanks for the hint... There actually are errors. Some config option seems to
be wrong. .xsession-errors shows that there is a -s <number> option applied
when I check "autosuspend if idle for".  This option doesn't seem to be
supported by my artsd. The message in .xsession-errors is:

artsd: invalid option -- s
usage: artsd [ options ]

server/network options:
- -n                  enable network transparency
- -p <port>           set TCP port to use (implies -n)
- -u                  public, no authentication (dangerous!)

audio options:
- -a <audioiomethod>  select audio i/o method (oss, alsa, ...)
- -r <samplingrate>   set samplingrate to use
- -b <bits>           set number of bits (8 or 16)
- -d                  enable full duplex operation
- -D <devicename>     audio device (usually /dev/dsp)
- -F <fragments>      number of fragments
- -S <size>           fragment size in bytes

misc options:
- -h                  display this help and exit
- -A                  list possible audio i/o methods (for -a)
- -l <level>          information level
  3: quiet, 2: warnings, 1: info, 0: debug
unable to connect to sound server

This is in my kcmartsrc when the suspend option is enabled:

Arguments=\s-F 8 -S 4096 -s 60 -l 0

Is there anything I miss compiling arts or is the config module not in sync
with the arts options?

I'll disable suspend for now.

Cheers,

Richard

>    Cu... Stefan

- --
- ---
http://www.richardstevens.de

Unix IS user friendly, it is just selective about who his friends are.