List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New project in CVS: kpovmodeler
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-05-28 11:50:34

On Monday 28 May 2001 14:25, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> * Nikolas Zimmermann -- Monday 28 May 2001 14:14:
> > On Monday 28 May 2001 14:09, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > > * Andreas Zehender -- Monday 28 May 2001 11:21:
> > >
> > > I would be interested in that program, but: opengl needs Qt being
> > > built with opengl, which in turn needs also thread support. And that is
> > > deprecated according to the README.qt-copy. Hmmm ...   :-(
> >
> > deprecated?
>
> Oh, sorry. No, it just recommends "-no-opengl" and this was only, because
> many people had no libgl and complained.

No, IIRC it's because some opengl implementations (pointing to nvidia here)
suck big time, and were leading to awful crashes all over the place.
Obviously, with a good and working opengl implementation there is no problem.

> Now I remember, some people on
> another KDE list suggested not to use -threads, because they had no other
> explanation for some mysterious bugs ...

No, -threads isn't recommended because there are known issues with it
(admitted by the trolltech developer himself). But if it works for you in
most cases, good.

Does opengl really require thread support in _qt_ ? Didn't know that.