List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: new startup notification code in cvs
From:       Lars Knoll <knoll () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-28 8:09:37

On Monday 28 May 2001 01:04, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Sunday 27 May 2001 15:52, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > The current solution is the best we can get with until we have a
> > themable cursor in X, and we don't even have all drivers support the
> > RENDER extension yet...until then we have to live with circumstances and
> > provide this solution.
>
> Talking about that... an area where X could use improvement as well is
> animation.. I have these fancy Qt effects on and they look like shit, not
> smooth at all. Something else which looks like shit is enlarging a
> dialog... first the X-server moves all widgets according to the gravity
> (usually NW) and then the relayout makes them jump back... Hmm... this
> might actually be caused by kwin delaying the size requests.
>
> Maybe dialogs should have a SW gravity or so. Lemme see if that helps.

Propably not. I once played around with North-East Win Gravity because of
right to left layouting (for arabic and hebrew environments) in Qt-3, and the
result was terrible. X11 (XFree at least) doesn't seem to be able to handle
it correctly (basically the subwindows first move as if they were north-west
gravity and are afterwards moved to the right position).

Lars