List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: new startup notification code in cvs
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2001-05-28 6:52:44

Dne po 28. květen 2001 00:04 Jelmer Feenstra napsal(a):
> On Sunday 27 May 2001 23:57, Jay Locke wrote:
> > btw, what's wrong with a simple hourglass?  Perhaps the arrow/hourglass
> > combination?
>
> Yes ! I really think the lagging-behind-icon is no good for the perceived
> speed of kde. I know it's difficult (impossible ?) to create a hardware
> cursor that could give the same functionality, but I really think the
> current implementation looks a bit like a hack :(

 And it gets even worse when the application under cursor is busy and doesn't
repaint oftern enough, in such case I get a lot of icons :(. My X has save
under disabled for some reason, and I don't know how to turn it on, any ideas?
But feel free to write a better hack. I think such hack is still better than
nothing at all.
 WRT animation, it has to be done also in the application, and if the icon
lags for you, it will be even worse with animation. Just look at the taskbar,
here it looks terrible sometimes ( but it's also because it falls back to the
'unknown' icon with the question mark, and I think the taskbar does way too
many unnecessary repaints ).

 Lubos Lunak
--
 l.lunak@email.cz ; l.lunak@kde.org