List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KGesture and DCOP Interfaces
From:       Mike Pilone <mpilone () slac ! com>
Date:       2001-05-24 17:42:41

Hello All,

I wrote KGesture the other day. It is a gesture recognition application
for KDE. As far as I know, it is the first of its kind and offers
something MS doesn't.

Problem 1:
----------
KGesture relies heavily on DCOP to communicate with running applications.
Most of the feedback that I have been getting back from users is that they
can't do what they want because the application doesn't make it available.
I was wondering what the possibility of increasing the number of methods
available in a stub is? Does performace take a hit as the number of
methods in an interface increases?

For example, most users want back() and next() from Konqueror exposed so
they can control the browser with gestures. Also, minimizing applications
(I suppose through a KWin interface).

What are the chances of getting these exposed? Is KGesture going about
this the wrong way?

Problem 2:
----------
Currently users must use the 'dcop' command to find the method they want
to trigger. Is there a DCOP browser out there, or a widget that builds a
tree from DCOP information?

Letting the user easily select a dcop function would be a big plus.

If your interested, KGesture can be found here:
http://www.slac.com/~mpilone/projects/

It started as a little adventure in stroke recognition, but people seem to
like it, and it is a new approach to computer interaction (at least on the
desktop with a mouse! CAD apps have been doing it with a pen forever).

Thanks in advance,
-mike