List:       kde-devel
Subject:    How to use kab ??
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-05-18 10:02:06

Hi,

I'd like to know how to use correctly libkab to access fax numbers. I'm asking
because it seems the abbrowser in kdebase use a different entries structure
than kab.
- abbrowser stores everything in "custom" entry and copy some values to other
  standard entries
- kab stores values in standard entries

For example if you define a new entry in abbrwoser with a Business Fax and a Home
Fax. Thoses values are stored in "custom" entry, but the business fax is also
stored in "telephone" entry, not the home fax. Now if in an application you want
to know fax numbers, you retrieve the AddressBook structure and look logically
in the "telephone" entry, which will only contain a single fax numbers: you lost
one.

The question is: should I only look in the "custom" entry, looking for a key of
the form "X-*Fax", and throwing away all other standard entries? Then what's the
point of such a structure?

Maybe I missed something...

Bye. Michael.