List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Arrows: indication sort direction of columns
From:       Ferdinand Gassauer <gassauer () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-16 10:32:27

On 16 05 2001 10:29, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> * Ferdinand Gassauer -- Wednesday 16 May 2001 09:53:
> > Third, the arrows:
> > I followed the guideline that the arrows should point to the highest
> > value for the sort icons of kspread. Have a look at the tooltips and at
> > the "data menu". It's a feeling, but I would like the arrows the other
> > way round. Why?
> > -> in a line we consider the starting point to be at the bottom of the
> > line -> in a table we consider the starting point to be the top
> > cell/line.
>
> Come on! We all know that Micros~1 is wrong and KDE is right -- not only,
> but also with respect to the arrows. Imagine a line with the letters A ..
> Z, how would you set an arrow?
>
>    >> A B C D E F G H ... X Y Z >>
>
> That's only natural! Why should it be different when the letters are lined
> up vertically? I can't help but think you want to make KDE as similar to
> Micros~1 as possible! Why would anyone want to migrate from Micros~1 to
> KDE if it's finally the same crap?! Yes, there might be some people who
> are too stupid to learn KDE's way of doing things. Do you want to dumb
> KDE down for these? After a few days every KDE user learns the better, sane
> way and will never look back. Keep it as it is! And, as Cristian already
> implied, convince Micros~1 to change their crap if you want a unified
> desktop across different platforms!   ;-)
>
> m.

> >> unsubscribe <<

Did anyone look at the sort icons of kspread?
the tooltip and menu entries for the arrow pointing now _up_ is _descreasing_
 (in german something like "fallend" , "absteigend") ... hard to believe ...
It's not the question of natural but of consistant text and icon.
BTW in Excel the arrows point down for both sort directions.
If we keep the current diction of KDE, that the top is pointing to the larger
end, I think I will change the arrow back to point down for both sort
directions.  The arrow then meens "sort" without direction. As MS does :-|
--
cu
ferdinand