List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Preliminary xinerama support
From:       Balaji Ramani <balaji () spinnakernet ! com>
Date:       2001-05-11 18:49:59

On Friday 11 May 2001 14:07, Dirk Mueller wrote:

> Excellent! Two small questions:
>
> - why do the kwin clients need to link Xinerama ? kwin.la links it already
>   and its not explicitely used in the clients as far as I can see.

I don't know.  I did not initially add linking the clients with Xinerama and
failed to compile (link) the clients.  So, I added it back and it works.

> - Aren't those constant XineramaIsActive(qt_xdisplay()) slow as they cause
>   an additional server around trip ?
>
>   Would it be possible to save it as a local flag etc in kwin instead ?

Yes.  It should be possible.  As I mentioned, once I implement enabling the
options through kcontrol, I will make it a flag.

I am sure that a lot more has to be done for full Xinerama support.  I just
did this a quick and dirty hack for kwin.  I could not stand windows opening
up over the middle of the screen and being spread across two physical
screens.  So, I implemented this just for kwin.  I shall add the kcontrol
option when I get some time.

Balaji