List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: FOUND IT !!!!!!!
From:       Pavel Troller <patrol () sinus ! cz>
Date:       2001-05-10 21:20:55

>   I think Stephan's patch causes that some internal structures (especially hashed function
> tables) are overwritten with a trash which then causes that the process faults.
> It depends on the memory allocation if it really rewrites these vital data or something
> else, which is not so important so it doesn't crash.
>   So, Stephan, You're on the move. We found it. There are at least six of us. Please, act. :-)
>
>                                           With regards, Pavel Troller

Hi!
  The latest information: the crash is caused by strcpy(base2,getenv("KDEDIR")) from the Stephan's patch.
  And it happens always when KDEDIR is not set. When I set KDEDIR, meinproc started to work.
  It means that probably, when the help: ioslave is started, it's environment doesn't contain KDEDIR.
  I found that under certain circumstances, it's really possible that KDEDIR is not set up correctly in
my installation.
  It's interesting that all the rest of KDE works perfectly.

  So, to the all, who can't run khelpcenter: Verify your $KDEDIR's, if they are set up. And please,
Stephan, handle this event (missing KDEDIR) more gracefully than by the segfault :-)

  It was hard to find, but it was at least a good lesson of tracing with gdb :-)

                                                     With regards, Pavel Troller