List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: printing
From:       Richard Bos <allabos () freeler ! nl>
Date:       2001-04-21 12:09:22

Where can I find a description, explaining how to select network printers via
kprinter?  Here at home I can only select the standard printer streams
(filters), however at the office there are several hunderd printers.  Is
there a utility that allows me to select one (or several) of these printers
(the ones I normally use), and let only those appear in kprinter?

If not it would mean that I still can't print at the office I think :(

At the moment I use a commandline tool called prt, which can address the
network printers.  It also allows to specify whether I wanna have 2, 4, 9, etc
pages at 1 page, whether the printout should be single or double sided, etc.
as far as I can see, I don't see these options in kprinter.  Would it be
possible to create a command bar were one can specify his/her printer command
for situations that kprinter does not support?
Though, this has been discussed before and I've been told to configure
/etc/printcap with the right filter, I still wunder how I would be able
to select the right printer at the network, or how to select the number of
pages that I want 1 page, etc, even when I've configured /etc/configured as
it should.

Non the less, kprinter is already a great improvement and I look forward to
the improvements Lars is going to make.  It will make kprinter again better.

--
Richard Bos
For those who have no (/)home the journey is endless