List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: printing
From:       Lars Knoll <lars () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-04-21 11:12:25

On Friday 20 April 2001 21:26, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> Hi!
> Now we have an excellent kprinter :-))
>
> Next what we need is an excellent html and pdf printer driver.

Yes. They definetively need some work. Problem was up to now, that nobody
really cared about them. I did some work on the khtml driver, but never got
to really finish it. I picked up some of the issues lately however.

> Just want to summarize the many bugs and wishes concerning this topic:
> * option to suppress printing  of background colors and images (save ink,
> make output readable) (works in netscape)

Should be simple using a style sheet for printing. I'll hopefull yhave it
imlpemented for 2.2

> * header/footer with URI, Page number and Date

Not a big problem neither.

> * fit output to physical page layout
> ** width (currently characters are cut off - html)

This should work. Could you tell me a case where characters are cut of when
printing?

> ** length (lines are cut off , printed twice - html)

This is a problem, and unfortunately not an easy one to solve. That's why we
repeat some amount of text at the moment. It'll need some restructuring in
the drawing/layouting engine of khtml. So this will probably be the request
that has to wait longest...

Regards,
Lars