List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: NEW: kconf_update, a framework for updating configuration files.
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-19 1:00:19

On Wednesday 18 April 2001 18:50, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Good question. First of all, whether the new file exists does not matter.

> The contents of an existing config file will be preserved. The question is
> what will happen if a key is about to be moved from one file/group/key to
> another one, while the destination file/group/key already exists.

Arghh.   I should re-read what I wrote before posting!!  This is actually what I
meant and you answered that below.  Sorry.  Anyways, I assume mere replacement
or relocation of a key from or within a group in the same config file is allowed as
well ?  No just moving b/n config files.

> Currently it overwrites it, but I will probably make it so that the key will be
> ignored if the desitnation key already exists.  Maybe with an option to override
> that on a key to key basis, but only if someone can point me to a case where that
> is needed.

Hmm... isn't it better to ignore this key update by default unless, as you state,  an
override is specified ?  The existance of the key to be moved could potentially mean
that the config file has somehow been manually updated already ? Think about a sysadmin
who might update all his/her machines by making all the necessary modifications in a centeral
test/setup machine and copying the resulting config files across.  When a user then starts KDE
it might end up overwritting the already set-up config files...

BTW, how about just copying from one config file to another and instead of moving ?
Would that be out of context for an updater ?  This can be used to duplicate some existing
keys with the user defined entries into new config files without removing them from the
original one.

Regards,
Dawit A.