List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: writing an archiver app
From:       Michael Jarrett <gexcfxyy () umail ! corel ! com>
Date:       2001-04-02 18:21:41

Lev Povalahev wrote:

> hi!
>
> Is it possible to write an archiver app (like ark), but using the KIO slaves
> for supporting different file formats? If yes where is a good point to start?
> (any KDE app that uses similar technique maybe?).

Well, if you wrote it using kioslaves, you'd not have any need for an
app at all, since it'd be exactly the same thing as konqueror. So the
task would be more to write the ioslaves themselves. A good place to
start is looking at the tar ioslave in kdebase.

Currently ark already borrows some of the code from the tar ioslave
(long story), but really, it is my understanding that the point of an
ioslave is more to abstract any file over an access medium; a kpart is
more suited for displaying specific filetypes.

--
Michael Jarrett
michaelj@corel.com