List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kant -> Kate ?
From:       Kuba Ober <winnie () hoth ! amu ! edu ! pl>
Date:       2001-03-31 20:46:30

> > > Kate is neutral, no other app has it as a name (not on sourceforge.net
> > > and not on freshmeat.net) and it will (nearly) sound like the nice
> > > female dragon katie ;)
[...]
> > why it all ?
> > Ppl now actually _know_ Kant
> > Kant's okay!
> > Kate isn't my favourite
> > i vote for keeping Kant
[...]
> Kant is a nice name for me, for you and someother, but we can'T use it
> because of the known problems with its pronounciation (and some people
> think of can't). To negative :(((

OK, I understand that Kant is pronounced as c*nt by some native speakers, and
that some think of can't, but what the heck. One (well known ;-) philosopher
had this name and I doubt whether he opted to change it.

I'd say that "c*nt" and "can't" reasons are too small to necessitate changing
Kant to something else.

Kate feels OK as well, but you'll always find a language where it has `funny'
meaning. If a polish speaker thinks of Kate as kat-editor, then kat in Polish
means the guy who beheads people on executions. Not nice either - it's
impossible to satisfy everybody, see? :-)

Kant and Kate seem to be decent choices - not too much typing and
pronouncible. My bias is towards Kant as I already recognize the name, and
others possibly do too...

Cheerz,
Kuba

> Kate isn'T perhaps the best or even nicest name for kant but it is
> political correct,

PS. Please, forget political correctness. It's good only to keep up with
tolerance-less people who don't know any better and whose world is reduced to
fighting over issues of nil imporance.

If somebody thinks that Kant is unacceptable because of c*nt pronounciation
then philosophy lessons should be forbidden as well, right? I wish
everybody's life would consist of problems of such minor importance only...
or maybe it does? ;-)