List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: compiling CVS under FreeBSD with X4.0.3 and threading ...
From:       The Hermit Hacker <scrappy () hub ! org>
Date:       2001-03-31 18:55:12

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, Michael Matz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > > On a slightly modern system with gcc USE_THREADS should be "-pthread" and
> > > nothing more.  Report back if this works.  We might anyway slowly migrate
> > > to threading in KDE.
>
> (Yep, I meant the place you showed in the lasz mail)
>
> > checking whether g++ supports -pthread... (cached) yes
> > Setting FreeBSD pthread compilation options -lX11 $(LIBSOCKET) -pthread
> >
> > so the -pthread is added ... the above I just added $LIB_X11 to the end of
> > the echo that was already there, so show what it was being set to ...
> >
> > yet its still not getting in there?
>
> Hmm, can you check the Makefile?  LIB_X11 should contain "-pthread".  Note
> also, that LIB_X11 only comes in from libDCOP.la for dcopserver, so also
> libDCOP.la needs to be rebuild, for that change to take effect.  Hmm,
> wait... Ohh, I'm dumb.  You need to set CXXFLAGS (and CFLAGS) instead
> LIB_X11 to get the -pthread into all link commands. (the reason is that
> -pthread is not remembered by libtool in the deplibs section, even if it
> sucks in another library (of course on FreeBSD it only switches
> libraries)

Woo hoo ... that appears to have done it ...

First clean compile of kdelibs, using:

*** admin/acinclude.m4.in.orig  Fri Mar 30 21:56:05 2001
--- admin/acinclude.m4.in       Sat Mar 31 14:13:06 2001
***************
*** 3355,3361 ****
                ;;
          freebsd*)
                  CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D_THREAD_SAFE"
!                 echo "Setting FreeBSD pthread compilation options"
                  ;;
          aix*)
                  CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D_THREAD_SAFE"
--- 3355,3363 ----
                ;;
          freebsd*)
                  CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D_THREAD_SAFE"
!                 CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS $USE_THREADS"
!                 CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $USE_THREADS"
!                 echo "Setting FreeBSD pthread compilation options [$LIB_X11]"
                  ;;
          aix*)
                  CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D_THREAD_SAFE"