List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KPilot's inclusion in 2.1.1?
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-03-28 6:33:35

Hi Kevin,

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Kevin Breit wrote:
> 	I installed KDE 2.1.1 today and was expecting to see KPilot on
> my desktop from SuSE RPMs and it wasn't there.  I thought it was going
> to be in this release?

Quite right. It was going to be in 2.1.1 -- I even asked to have a little
"PDA integration" blurb put in the release announcement. However, what
actually goes into the kdepim.rpm is a matter for the distributors to
decide. You're complaining it's not there -- other people, other distro's
complain that they have to install kdepim --nodeps because KPilot *is* in
there and they don't want it. You can't please everyone.

Anyway, this discussion (to include or not include all kinds of fringe
functionality in KDE's core packages) has already been waged (last week on
kde-devel, I think it even made the KDE Kernel Cousin). I'm willing to put
some effort into making KPilot separately packageable [*]; that could then
also apply to other KDE programs that support specific hardware or require
esoteric outside packages. But in the end it comes down to what the
packagers want to provide (will they build a separate package
kdepim-kpilotonly?).

ade

[*] Standalone apps don't have this problem since they've got their own
configure and everything, while KPilot is part of kdepim and falls under
the jurisdiction of the kdepim configure / makefile. That's what's making
it complicated. If all else fails I can try to provide KPilot rpm's on the
KPilot site, but that places an additional burden -- packaging -- on my
shoulders, and I'm never sure if what I'm building (as rpm) is compatible
with anything outside of my own system.