List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Widgets stop refreshing in while loop
From:       Chad Frick <setzer () flash ! net>
Date:       2001-03-28 2:30:05

On Tuesday 27 March 2001 07:48 pm, David Faure wrote:
>On Wednesday 28 March 2001 02:27, Chad Frick wrote:
>> I'm working on a program that requires a progress bar dialog window to
>> inform the user of the progress of an operation.  If I test out my code
>> with a for loop which simply emits signals to update the progress bar it
>> works fine, but when the actual code runs through a while loop the widgets
>> stop redrawing until the while loop is finished.  If I cut out my code in
>> the while loop and simply replacing it with code to emit the signal to
>> update the progress bar it displays the same behavior (not redrawing
>> widgets).
>
>Use kapp->processEvents() inside the loop, to make the widgets update.
>This is what most Qt programs that use a progress bar do.

That doesn't seem to fix the problem.  If I use a modal dialog the dialog
blocks when I show it until I click cancel, if I use a non-modal dialog the
dialog does not draw properly (even with kapp->processEvents()).  Perhaps a
better question would be what should I use to do a progress dialog?
Currently I'm creating a class derived from KDialogBase.  I'm not sure if
that's the best way to do it or not.