List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE printing stuff update
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-03-23 9:38:57

Hetz Ben Hemo wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> > 2) KPrinter class compatible with Qt mechanism
> > One a the major drawback of the previous code, was that the KPrinter object
> > was a singleton created by a factory. This has been changed. The factory is
> > hidden and the KPrinter class can be used exactly as QPrinter class. So the
> > porting effort should reduce to replacing 'Q' by 'K'.
> >

> I'm still having problems with printing with LPR (I get the same results with
> CUPS on another machine I have here at work). The problem is that the last
> part of the page is printing "too much" until the real end of the page, and
> then it "overlaps" to the next printed page...
>
> Does your patches give me the option to set up the page size correctly and
> avoiding this problem (looking at bugs.kde.org shows that I'm definately not
> the only one with those problem)

It sounds more like a printer/driver configuration problem. Anyway, the KDE print
dialog lets you control what's controllable for the selected underlying print
system. With LPR, you can't control the page size when sending a print job, but
it's possible with CUPS (properties button).
However when printing from Qt, you also have to tell the QPrinter object which
page size you're using (to know where to print). When using CUPS, the QPrinter
object is synchronized with the possible page sizes described in the PPD file, so
when you select a page size, the QPrinter knows it, and the PS generated will
also contains page selection code for the printer. With LPR, if you use the
properties button, you will still be able to select a page size, but that's ONLY
for the QPrinter object, so if you select a different page size than the one used
by the printer (which is not controllable, it's fixed on printer installation), you will
probably have problems.

But in your case, if even when printing a PS file (with lpr command-line utility), you
get this overlapping problem, I would say that you driver is mis-configured, or
you're using a non-appropriate driver. And I'm afraid the current kdeprint stuff
won't change anything (except if the page size selection for CUPS plugin solve
your problem). The KDE print stuff is not a print system by itself, it's a common
and flexible GUI interface for various existing print systems. If you can't print
correctly from the command-line utility (lpr), then you'll also have problems using
the KDE print stuff.

If you want, I can try to help you to solve your problem, but maybe we could switch
to private mails.

Bye.
Michael.

Michael Goffioul                IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be        (Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510          Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515          3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM