List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Path to favicon?
From:       Malte.Starostik () t-online ! de (Malte Starostik)
Date:       2001-03-22 23:30:54

Am Freitag, 23. März 2001 00:03 schrieb Frerich Raabe:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find out if some remote host has a favicon and if so I need
> the URL to it (that's easy). Now, does anybody know whether I should go for
> some handmade KIO magic to do that or should I rather try to re-use
> existing code and take advantage of libkonq's KonqFavIconMgr?
>
> The problem with the icon manager is that it is in kdebase and I somehow
> dislike linking to it (IMHO the favicon manager should be moved into
> kdelibs), and I actually don't really know how to accomplish my task with
> KonqFavIconMgr. Any ideas?
As you only need the favicon for a host and never one for a specific HTML
document (am I right? :) the easiest way would be locate("icon",
QString("favicons/%1.png").arg(hostname));
Which will get you the favicon if one had been downloaded already. Hmm, if
the host has one, but the user never went to a URL on that host, you'll get
no icon of course.... but after the user first clicked on a headline on that
host, the icon will be ther :)
Otherwise, you would have to duplicate the code from libkonq or link it. I
don't think KonqFavIconMgr really belongs into kdelibs, but feel free to
persuade me ;P
-Malte