List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Tuning KDE startup performance ?
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-03-21 16:52:57

On Wednesday 21 March 2001 17:19, Pavel Troller wrote:
[snip]

>    Especially "Setting the interprocess communication" and "loading the
> window manager" phases are really sloooooooow!

The splash screen texts do not indicate everything that's happening in
between. When it says "Setting the interprocess communication" a lot more
things happen, including loading most of the KDE libraries in memory. When it
says "Loading the window manager", several other processes are starting up at
the same time: kdesktop, kpanel, all in autostart, etc.

I really don't like it that both dcop and kwin get the bad press due to a
missleading ksplash :-(

Kill kwin on your machine and restart it: it takes less than one second.

>    After being up, KDE is surprisingly fast. For example, kcontrol,
> konqueror, konsole - starts in a second or so. Kmail - 3 - 4 seconds. In
> comparison with the old machine, the new one is about 3 times fast. Kdebase
> takes 2 hours to compile on the old machine and 40 minutes on a new one.
>    Aren't there some hard-coded delays in the code, just for being sure
> that the process will succeed on a really slow hardware ? Is there any
> possibility how to speed it up ?

Faster harddisk?

Matthias