List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Tuning KDE startup performance ?
From:       Pavel Troller <patrol () sinus ! cz>
Date:       2001-03-21 16:19:11

Hi!
   I'm still unsatisfied with the speed of KDE startup process.
   On my new machine, running Thunderbird on 918/102MHz (light overclock)
and 512M of 133MHz RAM, KDE startup takes exactly the same time as on a
substantially weaker one, with K6/2 on 450 and 128 M of 100 MHz RAM.
   Using the stopwatch, I measured the approximate time of various phases
and there are the results:

   Phase                           Time
   -------------------------------------
   Xserver startup                 1.2 s
   Setting up interprocess...      8.2 s (!)
   Starting System Services        0.6 s
   Initializing Peripherals        1.8 s
   Restoring the Session           3.8 s
   -------------------------------------
   Total                          27.0 s

   These results are obtained by repeating "startx" several times.
   I'm using unmodified CVS sources, compiled without debugging, without exceptions,
with --enable-final and many optimization options (-O2 -fforce-addr -fforce-mem
-fomit-frame-pointer -march=...)
   The system didn't use the swap.
   During the second and folowing startups, disk activity was minimal
(all was buffered in RAM).
   My /tmp is a RAM disk.
   Especially "Setting the interprocess communication" and "loading the window
manager" phases are really sloooooooow!

   After being up, KDE is surprisingly fast. For example, kcontrol, konqueror,
konsole - starts in a second or so. Kmail - 3 - 4 seconds. In comparison with
the old machine, the new one is about 3 times fast. Kdebase takes 2 hours to compile
on the old machine and 40 minutes on a new one.
   Aren't there some hard-coded delays in the code, just for being sure that the
process will succeed on a really slow hardware ? Is there any possibility how to
speed it up ?

                                        With regards, Pavel Troller