List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Using KDE in corporate environment - Queries and suggestions
From:       biswapesh.chattopadhyay () bt ! com
Date:       2001-03-13 10:43:19

> Licensing is very thorny, and even importing them from Windows by
> default can be difficult.

Ya, but surely if Windows is already installed, this is not a problem ?

> Last time I used lisa on a corporate network, my MAC address
> was blocked
> in under a day. It is not a refined tool IMHO, nor does it work in the
> way many people would expect from a "Network Neighbourhood" kind of
> perspective.

From my (and probably most LAN users') point of view, the closer it gets to
behaving as the 'Network Neighbourhood', the better. BTW, why can't the
KOMBA code be reused inside Konqueror ? Or is it written in a way which
makes integration very difficult ? Seems to be a waste of resources to me
and KOMBA works really well.

> (shameless plug here) Corel Linux does provide full Windows network
> browsing from their file manager. It's an Explorer-ish interface and
> quite nice indeed.

Well, I don't think I want to go into changing distributions just for this
:-) I tried Corel Linux once. It was pretty good, esp. the Windows
integration stuff (it automatically configured my C: drive which is NTFS
which Mandrake didn't, for one). However, I am more interested in getting
these things into core KDE so that things are distribution-independent.
Besides, I thought Corel Linux uses KDE 1 ? I don't think it is possible to
use Corel's file manager as an independent application either, I tried.

> Agreed. The error messages should be clearer. Now that 2.1 is out,
> changes to the messages may well happen.

Well, it is not just error messages. I was thinking more in line of a
'Diagonistic' menu in the COntrol Center which will probe for things that do
and don't work and give a report. Sort of like the KDevelop setup, if you
know what I mean.

> I don't think many developers of KDE really use netware, making
> something like that difficult to develop. Though a good note to make.
> A previous thread did mention Corel's printing system (which is very
> nice), and there is work going on with printing right now in
> fact, which
> should show up in KDE 2.2.

Well, I was not asking specifically for Netware support, though that would
be nice :-) What I meant was that it should be possible to give your command
line print command as a parameter in the printer setup so that when I click
on 'Print', it would write the ps or prn file and issue that command with
the name of that (temp) file as parameter, trapping std. output and std.
error and showing it as a dialog. Maybe this is a rather simplistic way of
putting it but you get the idea I hope.

> Exchange is probably the legal thorn from hell, but I wouldn't know.

You mean reverse-engineering the protocol is illegal ?

- Biswa.