List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Using KDE in corporate environment - Queries and suggestions
From:       Michael Jarrett <gexcfxyy () umail ! corel ! com>
Date:       2001-03-12 18:54:02

biswapesh.chattopadhyay@bt.com wrote:
> 1. Fonts. This is probably distribution-specific but is it possible to have
> a kde-fonts package which will select the best-of-breed of the available
> free fonts and fine-tune the desktop themes based on these ? It makes a
> major impact on the 'feel' of the desktop. I imported my Windows fonts and
> set the theme to a mostly Verdana based one and the improvement is really
> remarkable. Also, in this respect, does anyone have any idea regarding the
> license of MS fonts ? Are they redistributable ? I thought the downloadable
> core web fonts were ? Another idea might be fo check if the user has a
> 'Windows/fonts' or 'WINNT/fonts' directory while starting KDE for the first
> time and automatically importing them.

Licensing is very thorny, and even importing them from Windows by
default can be difficult.

> 2. SMB browsing. Again, this is probably distribution specific as well but
> why isn't kio_lan built by default ? I'm still unable to get SAMBA browsing
> to work with Konqueror inspite of the (much appreciated) help from AlexX,
> probably because there is no LISA support (?)

Last time I used lisa on a corporate network, my MAC address was blocked
in under a day. It is not a refined tool IMHO, nor does it work in the
way many people would expect from a "Network Neighbourhood" kind of
perspective.
(shameless plug here) Corel Linux does provide full Windows network
browsing from their file manager. It's an Explorer-ish interface and
quite nice indeed.

> The bothersome thing is that
> the error message is not very expilcit (asks me to configure LAN Browsing
> which I've already done !). It would be nice to have a menu in the Control
> Center called 'Check Installation' which would tell you about the missing
> pieces, preferably with hints on how to resolve it (for example, a typical
> output might look like:
> a) Missing OpenSSL - You won't be able to use https sites
> b) Missing kio_lan/kio_smb - You won't be able to browse network
> neighbourhood
> c) Unable to locate Netscape Plugins - Flash probably won't work
> d) Unable to locate JRE - Java won't work

Agreed. The error messages should be clearer. Now that 2.1 is out,
changes to the messages may well happen.

> 3. Printing. There doesn't seem to be a straight-forward way to get printing
> to work, and be consistent across applications. Also, there doesn't seem to
> be any plan for integrating netware printing (netware is pretty common in
> corporate environments for file and print services). Talking of netware, it
> might be an idea to wrap the netware functions like login, getting shares,
> sending print requests etc as an option. It should be trivial since the
> command line client already exists (the ncpfs RPM is avaibale for linux at
> least, and probably for other OS's as well I guess. Also, is there any plan
> to support sending print requests to Netware shares in the upcoming new
> printing architecture ? It woould be nice if one could enter something like
> 'Enter command line for sending requests where '%s' is the file name, so I
> could write something like:
> 'nprint -S XXX -U XXX -P xxx %s' and all KDE apps will use that as default.

I don't think many developers of KDE really use netware, making
something like that difficult to develop. Though a good note to make.
A previous thread did mention Corel's printing system (which is very
nice), and there is work going on with printing right now in fact, which
should show up in KDE 2.2.

> 6. Mail. OK, this is a lame one since probably you can't do anything abouut
> it, but has anyone had any success talking Exchange's proprietory protocol
> through ANY mail client ? This is the one major thing that forces me to
> switch back into NT every two hours or so. Also, how difficult would it be
> to get KMail to access mails automatically from the standard internet mail
> systems like Yahoo & Hotmail ? It would really be a killer feature ! It
> would need some tricky scripting and of course, someone would have to
> actively maintain the stuff so that changes in the website are incorporated
> but it might be worth the effort if the current KMail architecture supports
> it.

Hotmail in particular is very difficult - and it has been tried by a few
adventurous people in the past. The web interface switches between SSL
and normal at least once (maybe twice), uses several cookies in the
interim, and a few tricks that nobody has successfully been able to
follow.
Exchange is probably the legal thorn from hell, but I wouldn't know.

Cheers
Michael Jarrett
michaelj@corel.com
--
The address in the headers is not the poster's real email address.  Do not send
private mail to the poster using your mailer's "reply" feature.  CC's of mail