List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: User Interface guide
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () mountlinux ! com>
Date:       2001-03-09 22:38:05

On Friday 09 March 2001 02:10 pm, David Smith wrote:
> Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > I think perhaps this should be the default. Does anyone think that
> > it's better to have the 'hide buttons' enabled by default ?
>
> If they are off by default new users will never know they exist.
> They are far to useful for that! :)

but ballance that against the attrocity of having to "aim" for the K Menu.
good UI design says it should reach into the "infinity" of the bottom left
corner of the screen.

which is worse to greet a new user with: difficult to use UI (poor design) or
a feature that is both not critical nor often picked up on right away. (i've
watched many new users with kde2 and only a few have tried the hide buttons
except for by accident (wanting the K Menu) or until they start getting
adventurous and exploratory)

--
Aaron Seigo