List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: logout and shutdown option
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ob6 () inf ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2001-03-09 19:44:42

> So I suggest to introduce a 3. button "Logout and shutdown" in the "End KDE
> Session" window. This should (and probably will) only work, if shutdown is
> allowed form the login window.

yes, there are already several wishlist bugs filed against kdm, kpanel,
ksmserver, etc. regarding this.
so i had a thought about it ...
kdm already implements a "command fifo", where any user (who matches
the fifo permissions) is allowed to write to, so when the current
session exits, this data is used to start the next session at once
(see http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~ob6/sw/xautolog.html and follow the
link "advanced version" once you've read the page).
this could be easily extended to support reboot/shutdown. then only a
bit voodoo in the ksmserver would be required to write the fifo and we're
done.
till then, you can use http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~ob6/sw/halten.html
:)

best regards

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.