List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE colors, fonts and mouse poibters
From:       Melchior FRANZ <a8603365 () unet ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       2001-03-08 18:43:35

* Rik Hemsley -- Thursday 08 March 2001 09:40:
> My brain can't cope with finding a way to use the 'large cursors'
> setting thing while also allowing to put files called 'cursor.pcf.gz'
> in ~/.kde/share/fonts/override. So... perhaps I should instead make
> a kcontrol module that lets you add fonts, plus another which allows
> you to specify which font you want to use for cursors, with the
> 'standard' and 'large' cursor fonts always available of course.

Hmm ... I don't know if this can be done in a clean way (due to
possible limitiations of some weird file systems), but I would
make the kcminput module remember if it has installed cursor.pcf.gz
(modification time/size/checksum?). So it could safely remove its
own files and let others alone. kcminput could automatically
deactivate the cursor font selection checkbox option, if the
user has installed his own cursor font.

I don't think that a kcontrol should offer a cursor font selection
possibility apart from allowing to select a normal/large/white/large&white
font. But I strongly suggest to include white cursors and not let
a blind user seek the white cursor fonts on the internet. After all that's
not eye candy , but an important usability thing. (Or is it easier for
eye candy to get into the CVS than usability? Then let's call white
cursors "eye candy" ...  ;-)

m.

PS: I gave the big&white cursor font to a visually impaired guy,
    and he likes it a lot! This would be a great improvement for
    all of his kind, he told, ...