List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: *beglist* item for 2.2
From:       Achim Bohnet <ach () mpe ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2001-03-07 2:18:21

On Wednesday 07 March 2001 02:54, dep wrote:
> for years now, since the very beginning, there has been no way to set
> a default paper size for printing in kde except by hacking the code
> -- and hacking the code has gotten more and more difficult. it's a
> pretty basic control, and people do not often change paper sizes -- i
> don't know anyone overseas who switches from A4 to u.s. letter, and i
> sure don't know anybody here who goes from u.s. letter to A4 -- or
> uses A4 at all. this is such an *obvious* control center item that
> i've been startled in each release that it hasn't been added. is
> there a way that it could be added for 2.2? it would save a lot of
> criticism, and some trees.

Hi Dennis,
You are too honest :)  There will be a muuuuuch more flexible solution
available (assumed) that the new kdeprint makes it into 2.2.  _If_ you
use the IPP/cups backend every kdeapp can ask the 'printer' what
default Papersize the printer has,  e.g.,  A4 or A3 (more common
than A4 or Letter case).  Do it once in cups and all user get the
right defaults for the printer.  Same for one and/or two sided,
b&w and/or color, etc.  Much more flexible than just one default.

Achim

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com