List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: gnome dvd player
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-04 7:52:43

On Sunday 04 March 2001 00:02, craig wrote:
> Hello i'm just a end user with no programing skills, so all I can do right
> now is suggest and support. I recently came across this gnome dvd app that
> plays dvd movies (http://www.videolan.org). I would like to suggest that
> someone make a kde port of it in much the same way as the kompany ported
> gphoto to kde. I hope a developer will consider it. It would make a great
> addition to kde 2.2!!!

   There are three players currently working in Linux.  OMS seems to have the
best design for integrating different GUIs.  I expect it would be very easy
to write a KDE GUI for it.  I have had the most success getting Xine to play
DVDs for me.  And of course I"ve heard good reviews of videolan as well.  In
any case, it would be really nice to have a native DVD player.  The biggest
problem will be portability though.  I'm sure it won't work on all the
platforms that KDE works on.  Also all of these players seem to be under
heavy development and the interfaces could keep changing from day to day.  It
might be a lot of work to maintain at first.

   It's definitely something to consider for the future.

--

George Staikos