List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: compressed info OK?
From:       Cristian Tibirna <tibirna () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-02-28 23:43:06

On Wednesday 28 February 2001 16:23, nbecker@fred.net wrote:

> Sorry if it violates FHS, but really it would be better if kde would
> tolerate it.  The truth is that info has evolved.  Originally it was
> created by emacs.  Then xemacs adopted a different convention.  Then
> we started automatically creating dir.  We should tolerate mixed
> systems.  If I start with RH7 RPM and install a few .tar.gz, it should
> KDE still find all the info files.  You could make a good argument
> that if /usr/info/dir exists and is blank then you don't expect to see
> any info pages for that directory - but I would still expect that
> /usr/share/info would work, and /usr/local/info - because on a mixed
> system that's what you're going to wind up with.

Errr, KDE has nothing to do into this. I think (I hope I'm not wrong) it uses
the underlying info system and its configuration, as provided by the system.
Using the textmode info application works correctly?

IS there a /etc/infodir file in your system? What does it contain? Etc. etc.

--
Cristian Tibirna .. tibirna@sympatico.ca
PhD Student .. ctibirna@giref.ulaval.ca .. www.giref.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna