List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: compressed info OK?
From:       nbecker () fred ! net
Date:       2001-02-28 21:23:15

    Bernhard> On 28 Feb 2001 nbecker@fred.net wrote:
    >> I think the problem is that /usr/info/dir exists, and is blank.  So
    >> when I ask for info:/dir I get:

    Bernhard> Ok, what created /usr/info/dir (and the /usr/info directory) for you?
    Bernhard> That file is bogus and must not be there. /usr/info violates the FHS
    Bernhard> standard.

    Bernhard> Does rpm -qf /usr/info/dir or rpm -qf /usr/info say anything?

It looks like an experimental gcc installation.

Sorry if it violates FHS, but really it would be better if kde would
tolerate it.  The truth is that info has evolved.  Originally it was
created by emacs.  Then xemacs adopted a different convention.  Then
we started automatically creating dir.  We should tolerate mixed
systems.  If I start with RH7 RPM and install a few .tar.gz, it should
KDE still find all the info files.  You could make a good argument
that if /usr/info/dir exists and is blank then you don't expect to see
any info pages for that directory - but I would still expect that
/usr/share/info would work, and /usr/local/info - because on a mixed
system that's what you're going to wind up with.