List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: call for Applications for Nautilus (short notice)
From:       Seth Nickell <snickell () stanford ! edu>
Date:       2001-02-26 22:58:48

> I have noticed recently that Nautilus uses a completely different
> mechanism. Is there still any hope of unification now that you are
> officially handling that in GNOME?

That was a mistake. It should be obvious by now that MIME issues were to
some extent given short shrift in Nautilus. Technically we have
extremely competent support, but the standard was not well publicized
internally to GNOME. Owen Taylor claims that the .desktop spec
referenced is in fact a beta spec and was never fully agreed to,
actually *because* of the MimeType tag. Reading the gnome-kde
unification list seems to confirm this assertion. Hopefully the next
version of Nautilus will support the "standard" if for no other reason
than to cooperate with KDE better.

> Could you also provide us with the data for the GNOME apps for our own app
> database?

See my previous message. Database already sent to the KDE developer
apparently responsible for the KDE database.

-Seth