List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT & Windows 2000 effects on KDE
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () zvw ! de>
Date:       2001-02-12 10:34:52

On Monday, 12. February 2001 10:35, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that there are many Trolltech employees are reading this mailing
> list, and I know that QT 2.2.x have the Windows 2000 effects (fade, scroll,
> whatever)..
>
> Would someone from Trolltech be kindly enough to explain how to turn those
> effects on? which version of QT is needed? what do we need to re-compile
> again? do we need to change anything in KDE in order to use those effects?

I'm not from Trolltech, but I looked for how it works. It's documented. Open
the QT html help and click on "Key Features in Qt 2.2" under "What's new".
There it is described (you add some X resources to your ~/.Xdefaults). No
need to recompile anything.
Unfortunately, it seems that for some people (like me), it doesn't work this
way.
If you get it to work with QT, it also works the same in KDE programs
without recompiling anything.
In a program, you can enable/disable those effects with the static
QApplication member setEffectEnabled (), so it's easy to add some options for
this to the global KDE configuration file and set the effects in the init
function of KApplication.
Then we could have some buttons for it in the appropriate KControl module
... after the freeze of course.

Btw: the effects are: scrolling comboboxes (when opening the list), either
fading or scrolling tooltips and either fading or scrolling menus.