List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The breadth of the freeze
From:       Matthias Kiefer <kiefer () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-02-08 15:11:40

Am Donnerstag,  8. Februar 2001 15:42 schrieb Jens Hoefkens:
> But that still leaves the question of what is acceptable and what
> not. Some of the translators have approached me and suggested some
> changes to the (user-visible) strings in KBackgammon. But since this
> would definitely break the existing translations (although it would
> allow for translations to languages other than English and German), I
> am quite confused...
Well, a message freeze means to not add new translations but it is okay to
fix bugs in messages as long as you give translators the change to get their
work done before release. This means to give them at least one week before
release.
And I really appreciate to have the possibility to do good translations
instead of having to do some very ugly workarounds to translate these
concatenated strings.

Since kbackgammon uses a lot of these concatenated strings, which are very
hard or impossible to translate, I _really_ would call this a bugfix.
How do you expect translators to translate something like this?:

        msg = nameUS + i18n(" rolls ");
        n.setNum(u); msg += n + ", " + nameTHEM + i18n(" rolls ");
        n.setNum(t); msg += n + ".";

Just my two cents.

Sorry if I sound a little bit coarse, but it is just frustrating to see such
messages when doing translations.

Greetings,
   Matthias

PS: I wrote a little i18n howto, which lists the things, that are often
done wrong. You can find it at
http://developer.kde.org/kde2arch/kde-i18n-howto.html
--
Matthias Kiefer