List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Presenting KDE2.0/1 to an Indian Audience
From:       "Dan Maharry" <dm_wroxindia () satyam ! net ! in>
Date:       2001-02-07 7:19:08

Hi there,

Apologies for abusing this mailing list just the once, but it was suggested
I post here by Waldo Bastian.
My name is Dan and I am the session co-ordinator for BangLinux 2001 to be
held here in Bangalore, India on March 5 - 7, 2001. One of the topics that
I'd like to see here is on developing applications with Qt for KDE 2.x,
using KParts where applicable. I've had trouble finding anyone individually
in India, so I thought I should try the mailing list.

To give you a little background on the conference, BangLinux is India's
largest linux developers conference, aimed squarely at the professional
developer and student/hobbyist hacker. Last year, we hosted 1700 people over
2 days here in Bangalore with people like Alan Cox, Richard Stallman, Nat
Friedman, Rasmus Lerdorf and Jens Axboe putting in an appearance tot he
delight of the crowd. This year we are at a bigger venue and three days long
with speakers already from Wipro, Oracle and SCO lined up beside Jens and
Rasmus again. The schedule so far and other information is on our website at
www.banglinux.com

I'd really appreciate any help you could give me on this. Linux is set to
explode in India and all the fervour of the LUGs and developers is
concentrated at BangLinux. I think Gnome is winning out here, so with only
SuSe representing KDE out here, I think a talk would redress that balance
quite well.

I've attached a speaker information sheet for your information and an
outline for a session on KDE that we dreamt up some time last year. Please
have a look, see what you think and get back to me if you are interested

Thanks in advance

Dan

-----
Dan Maharry, WroxIndia
Banglinux 2001 : Return of the Penguin , March 5 - 7, 2001
Register now at http://www.banglinux.com

["BangLinux_Foreign_Speaker_Info.html" (text/html)]

<head>
	<title>Untitled</title>
LI {
	font-family : sans-serif;
	font-size : 9pt;
}

STRONG {
    color : Red;
}

H1, H2 {
    color : Maroon;
}

</head>

<H1>BangLinux 2 Foreign Speaker Information</H1>
<P>The following information is a collection of all the things you should know
before Wrox's BangLinux Conference 2001. Please read through carefully and
get back to me with any difficulties, at <A \
href="mailto:danm@wrox.com">danm@wrox.com</A></P>

<H2>Basic Information</H2>
<UL>
	<LI>BangLinux 2 : Return of the Penguin takes place on <STRONG>5 - 7 March 2001 \
</STRONG>at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India. This is the   second \
instance of the sell-out conference that took place in February 2000.  <LI>Those \
invited to speak will have their flights to and from Bangalore bought for them and \
their stay in a hotel (Le Meridien Holiday Inn) paid for. If the   company that they \
work for can pay for or contribute towards their flight, so much the better. The \
conference acts as a non-profit making (read : loss-making)   event for the \
furtherance of the open source community in India and as such would appreciate any \
help in making the loss as small as possible.  <LI>This is a <strong>programmers' \
conference</strong>. Code is not a four letter word and examples, demos and theory \
are more than welcome, if not positively encouraged.   45 minute propaganda talks \
about how wonderful your latest product is will be taken away, burnt and then fed to \
the pigs.  <LI>BangLinux will have a conference attendee pack including a CD of all \
the sessions that will take place during the three days. Each session will also be   \
featured on our website at <A \
href="http://www.banglinux.com">http://www.banglinux.com</a> the slides from the \
sessions being added to the website after the conference has finished. </ul>

<H2>What We Need From You</H2>
<P>Once we've agreed that you'll come and present at BangLinux, we will need a few \
things from you (sooner rather than later) for our website and publicity pack. </P>

<ul>
	<LI>Your slide presentation as an HTML page or group of pages. We'll also have a \
quick look over the slides when we get them and query any spelling mistakes,   \
apparent contradicitions etc that we find to make it a better session.  <LI>A three \
to four paragraph summary of the session's content  <LI>Any code files to be used \
during the session  <LI>Two or three professionally taken black and white photo or \
digital equivalent of sufficiently high resolution to survive resizing and printing.  \
Preferably an actual photo for scanning. Wrox will reimburse the speaker for the \
photography upon production of a valid receipt.  <LI>Finally, a short biography about \
yourself of about 100 words. </ul>

<H2>Technical Requirements</H2>
<P>It is very important that we are aware of any additional technical requirements \
that you might have for the event as soon as possible.  We will be providing a basic \
set of equipment and software for you to use - computer, probably Redhat Linux - but \
should you need any extras,  please let us know. For example, each room will have one \
microphone, but if there are two speakers, we'll need to know so that we can  provide \
an extra one. Alternatively, if you are planning to use your own laptop for the \
session, we will provide the necessary video feeds to plug  into the projection unit. \
If you have any queries about this, please let us know.</P>

<H2>What to Wear at the Events</H2>
<P>Each speaker will be provided with a couple of Wrox 'Speaker' polo shirts for the \
speakers to wear for the duration of the event. These highly fashionable polo shirts  \
are black with the word 'speaker' written in white letters on the reverse of the \
shirt, and come in a variety of sizes. This is the only dress restriction that we \
stipulate  for the events, as we feel it is important to highlight who the speakers \
are. Authors should wear Wrox polo shirts and willingly make themselves available \
outside their allotted  presentation times - this represents the Wrox brand as fully \
as possible by emphasising the accessibility of its 'Programmer to Programmer' ethos. \
We have found that the delegates feel at ease knowing who the speakers are, and \
knowing that they can chat to them if they wish - which  greatly enhances the whole \
conference experience for them, which is never a bad thing!</P>

<P> <strong>Don't forget to tell us what size polo shirt you take.</strong> We've had \
awkward situations occur stemming from us running short of one size to be replaced \
with something smaller.</P>

<H2>Birds Of A Feather Sessions</H2>
<P>There will be two or three moderated general discussion sessions where those of a \
like mind can get together and talk about one topic - GUI Desktop  development, \
n-tier web development, etc - and speakers are encouraged to come along and take \
part. </P>

["KDE 2Session.txt" (text/plain)]