List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Question for Kmail developers
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2001-01-30 3:40:30

Michael Häckel wrote:

> > Are there any plans to add such features for viewing and arranging
> > contents of folders and threads, and giving the user a better "bird's
> > eye view" of the entire contents for more coherent navigation?  With
> > konqueror now in such good shape this is really needed for 2.1 but
> > apparently it's too late for that.  How about for Kde 2.2?
>
> Planned is everything someone wants to work on.
> This is a developers mailing list of an open source project. No one of the
> KMail devolopers is paid for his work, we do it all in our spare time.
> Feel free to implement these features if you need them. I gladly commit
> patches, if they work.

Thanks for your answers to all the questions I had. While I disagree
with most of your reasoning, other people have done a better job than I
could have done explaining further how kmail's handling of threads and
views could be improved. (in this thread).

Planning is also a part of the development process, and is an
appropriate topic on these lists. It's not always a good idea to just
start working on something because you want to do it without considering
priorities and what others are doing, or finding out what the needs of
users may be. Evidently you don't regard these things to be problems or
high priority items.  That's all I wanted to know.

John