List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Question for Kmail developers
From:       Daniel Karlsson <chaotica () home ! se>
Date:       2001-01-29 16:02:09

On Sunday 28 January 2001 23:19, Michael Häckel wrote:
> If you saw off a branch of a real tree, then the branch also falls to
> the ground and doesn't remain on the tree. I consider that behavior
> correct. The rest of the mails simply doesn't contain the required
> information any more. It seems that Netscape does threading according
> to the subject and only groups the mails together. KMail does threading
> according to the message id and can display the real tree, how the
> replies belong to each other.

Since the message ids are known from the "References" header, how about
using virtual messages. I.e.

[Unknown message: <msgid@host>]
+- Re: Some subject

Ideally, the whole tree could be reconstructed, even if many messages are
gone (or delayed). If the "References" header is missing or broken,
fallback to "In-Reply-To" could at least reconstruct some parts of the
tree.

Regards,
--
Daniel Karlsson <chaotica@home.se>