List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Game library
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-01-11 16:30:21

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Martin Heni wrote:
> lately I was thinking of an easy way to have KDE games use
> computer and network players. So far I use some tool in my
> programs which do so but unfortunately they are clumsy and
> horrible - I can say so as I wrote them ;-)

Hi Martin,

I was just thinking of porting some 2-player network boardgames I wrote in
Xlib long ago (including a networking layer based on XAtoms) to KDE and
was worried about all the yuckiness of such a port. So I'm all for a
library that gives you network players in a convenient way.

> I would like to get some feedback on:
> - Is something like this needed to simplify and unite
>    KDE games
Yup. KBackGammon right now really needs such a simple backend for network
play on a lan. (At least, I couldn't get it to work)

Obviously turn-based things are going to be very different from real-time
games, but I'll look forward to playing a nicely networked game of skat
against someone. And I'll be glad to try the library once there's a
pre-alpha version available in CVS somewhere.