List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde's future
From:       Jelmer Feenstra <spark () dds ! nl>
Date:       2001-01-02 11:03:23

On Sunday 31 December 2000 01:54, Luis Coelho wrote:
> On Saturday 30 December 2000 16:36, Michael Meding wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > KDE should run usable on a p200mmx with 64mb of ram. Since this or a
> > little bit more is what potential consumers, and I am not talking about
> > western europeans or north americans, but south americans, eastern
> > europeans or asians are able to afford.
> >
> > KDE simply doesn't cut it. If you have a fast, big, expensive machine,
> > sure then kde is nice. But on my machine it takes forever to start up.
>
> It runs usable on a p166 w/ 64mb of ram (this is what is sitting in from of
> me right now). It does take forever to start up, but then it is pretty
> fast. I can have kmail, knode, knapster plus three or four konqueror
> windows open and working without any problems.

I'm afraid win98 runs a lot faster on the same system. I sometimes actually
get the idea IE runs faster on my dad's p133/32MB compared to konqueror on my
p2-300/64MB :(

Define working without any problems, I get the idea that taking a cup of
coffee doesn't bother you if apps are being slow. This way I state as well
kde is very useable :) (ok, taking a sip of your coffee)

Greetings,

Jelmer Feenstra