List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Noatun: Licensing, and a new one
From:       "Greg Turpin" <gregturp () home ! com>
Date:       2001-01-02 9:13:39

I don't mean to flame, but, here are some additional comments.

The Open Source world doesn't need another license.  We've got
plenty already.

Also, the "don't claim you wrote this" rule - its just not nice.
Depending on how much code you actually modified - this isn't
appropriate.  What if you majorly change the code and make
it better or account for various problems the author did not
account for.
It should be more like this:
Have a standard "modified by" part of the license that you can
add yourself to the top of the license.  This way, older authors
are not counted out and the newer author is at the top of the
list.

Anyways...licenses are a complicated thing.  Ideally everyone that
is dedicated to the concepts of KDE or all free software should
release under the same license.  That way we can defend that
license.  So, if M$ or some other evil empire decides to use
our code - we can all unite our efforts to stomp out the opposition.

Here's what we want:

1) Our software is "free" in terms of source code.
2) No one can modify or add to our software and release
it without all source code being available under this same
license.

If you look deep enough (and believe me, lawyers do) - that
is basically what the GPL is trying to do.

We need to release under the GPL because we can all unite behind
that common license.  If M$ (or another company) were to
challenge the GPL, everyone in the Free Software community
would be dedicated to the support of the opposition.
Strength in numbers.

Viva la GPL (v. 1, 2, and soon to be 3).  Heh.