List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Noatun: Licensing, and a new one
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-01-02 9:12:05

On Tuesday 02 January 2001 01:03 am, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to be sound flaming, but wait till this get into slashdot - KDE won't
> get PR points from this - be sure of that...
This isn't flaming: I except to get some negative reactions, because of all
the [censored] KDE has gotten in the past related to licenses.

KDE won't get PR points from using a _very_ unrestrictive and
free-as-in-speech license?  That's like saying that KDE won't get PR from
switching from a EULA to GPL. :)

And, I'm not forcing anyone to use this license.  I just thought that if I'm
making one for the explicit usage of a KDE program, why not name it the KDE
license, and let others use it, since it really does work well with our style.

> Why can't it be licensed under GPL or LGPL?? (sorry for the naive
> question)..
Because, it being my own program, and since I dislike both the GPL and LGPL,
I decide that I should use the KDE License.

> Do we really need a new license?
See above. :)

We don't necessarily, Noatun and I need a new license, because I find all the
others inadequate.  There's nothing wrong with creating a new license.  But
if it makes you feel better, compare it to the BSD license, it's quite
similar.

-Charles

> Hetz
>
> Charles Samuels wrote:
> > Noatun has been under the artistic license for quite a while (it
> > originally was under the GPL).  The artistic license is slightly
> > problematic in that it isn't GPL-compatible, making it difficult for me
> > to swipe XMMS code ;)

[snip]