List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde's future
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2000-12-30 17:41:43

Saturday 30 December 2000 00:55, Richard Bos ΞΑΠΙΣΑΜ:
|   On Saturday 30 December 2000 00:41, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
|   > > On Friday 29 December 2000 22:47, dep wrote:
|   > > > it isn't really a logic gap. the big guys are pouring tons of money
|   > > > into gnome, and that might at some point become definitive.
|   >
|   > No amount of money will make Gnome an easier platform than KDE to
|   > develop applications with.
|
|   There are examples that not always the best technology remains.
|   The example that I know by heart is V2000 (Philips VCR technology) which
|   is by far a better technology than VHS.  However, by good (no excellent)
|   marketing VHS won the market....

It reminds me discussion on Konqueror [name], which by some occasion have
happened in the middle of August 2000 (to be precise, Aug.13-16, kde-devel
and koffice mailing lists; look for "Slashdot article on GNOME" and
"Publishing on /." subjects)

Richard, I agree with you that very often not the best technology survives.
But, something makes me thinking that KDE will survive ;-)

IMHO, Sun support is not critical for KDE. Sun doesn't own desktop.
Helixcode and Eazel - they are just small companies. I suggest there is no
reason why we should feel ourself unhappy that they do not support KDE.

The only company which, IMHO, important in global scale at a moment [both for
KDE and in general] is DELL.
But, reports on DELL are very mixed.
From one side, it was claimed that DELL supports RedHat. Then, DELL was
interested in *some other distros*.
But again, DELL is bundling (pre-installs?) Linux with servers, not desktops.
So , should we really worry about DELL and Sun at a moment? I think no.
In 6 months, we will have pretty stable KDE 2.x. And first, beta-level
quality GNome 2.0.
No vendor which is in his mind will bundle alpha- or beta-quality software.

I think we should focus now on closing bugs (I checked around 40 outstanding
bugs yestreday, more then half of them already can be closed).
End-users will trust KDE only if they see that somebody is working on bugs,
and *your favourite bug, reported 60 days ago* is now closed :-)
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)