List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde's future
From:       Michael Meding <Michael () Meding ! net>
Date:       2000-12-30 16:36:31

Hi,

here are just my 2c.
> 6. X gets full support for AA
> 7. X gets faster (KDE runs slow comparing to Windows on 64 RAM)
> 8. something else replaces X

X is not the main factor. Sure there is a lot of potential in X to get some
speedups.

The main thing is that kde2[0,1.[0,1] is horribly slow. I am running
everything on a duron 800 with 128 mb pc133 on a kt133 with a fast scsi
adaptor and a quite fast u2w scsi disk.

And here KDE is usable, and fast enough. Though konqueror sometimes
realllllllyyyy slooooowwwwwss everything down. But this is a fast machine.
Think of all the people, who are not able to buy such fast machines.

KDE should run usable on a p200mmx with 64mb of ram. Since this or a little
bit more is what potential consumers, and I am not talking about western
europeans or north americans, but south americans, eastern europeans or
asians are able to afford.

KDE simply doesn't cut it. If you have a fast, big, expensive machine, sure
then kde is nice. But on my machine it takes forever to start up.

Functionality and integration into distries with for example AA and truetype,
setting up things like drag-n-drop or better filetype integration is also
neccessary.

But windows is usable on a small machine. KDE is simply not. Same with latest
gnome with enlightenment. With sawfish it is but there were times when it was
faster.

Were is all the "GNU/linux runs on small machines" ? Were are all the
optimization freaks ?

KDE is IMHO up to a point were it could be used for everyhting on fast
workstations, but for the still small equipped average user it is to slow.

But as said in the beginning, those were just my 2c.

Greetings

Michael Meding