List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Installation Tips
From:       Christopher Willmot <chris () willmot ! org ! uk>
Date:       2000-12-20 18:29:45

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 02:34:00PM -0500, Suzanne Britton wrote:
> Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:34:00 -0500
> From: Suzanne Britton <tril@host.ott.igs.net>
> To: kde-devel@max.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
> Subject: KDE Installation Tips
>
> Greets all,
>
> I'm putting up some pages on KDE, one of which is a set of tips for
> intalling from source. It's at http://www.igs.net/~tril/kde/tips.html.
> Before I unleash it on the unsuspecting public, does anyone here have
> corrections or suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Suzanne
>
> --
> tril@igs.net - http://www.igs.net/~tril/
> "I'm aware of that, sweetheart. It's just that when I wake up to a hissing
> goat skull on my nightstand, and it hops off and runs across the floor on
> spider legs, I sleep a lot better knowing where it ran off to."
>                                                           - Ted (Red Meat)

I see you've put an intro in.  That's good.  I'm probably one of your
target audience, having been playing around with linux for a few months
- I've picked up quite a bit but still have large gaps in my
understanding.  There were a number of things there that were new to me,
and I did understand what you said there.

But I also agree with some of the other posts - many of the other
'helpful' howto's fail by being too terse.  In particular, examples are
much easier to learn from than principles, which only come as a result
of practical experience.  Have you thought about making use of hypertext
links to form expandable footnotes?  Also - much harder, though - it
might be possible to point out some of the gotchas using the same
technique.

Thanks for making the page, and for letting us know about it.  It's
certainly better to have even a little light than struggle alone in the
dark. :-)

--
Chris Willmot
County DURHAM, England.