List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Political Correctness and Kde
From:       Kuba Ober <winnie () hoth ! amu ! edu ! pl>
Date:       2000-12-06 15:37:00

On Tuesday 05 December 2000 09:52 pm, John Califf wrote:
> This is my response to the issue of political correctness in free
> software projects and getting people involved.  I don't care to deal
[...]
> All of us can improve our communications in this kind of work which is
> something new in human history.  But this requires becoming more
> personal, not less.  More honest, not more politically correct.
> Eventually the distinction between "work" and the rest of life fades
> away into a better kind of existence.

Hmm... why would anybody imply that kde people are not humans? Some of us who
are fearful of not offending anyone and putting those funny disclaimers
(don't kill me, but I've found this bug...) were either raised by their
parents to disclaim first and then act (a paranoidal politeness :-), or
simply they like to do so due to other human-nature causes. Ask Freud, or
somesuch...

For me, the political correctness has too much connection which politics,
which are directly related to making money and taking position, where humans
(and humanity) are mostly betrayed to a higher `goal' which seems to hurt
more than help. I see kde as being developed for humans, and keeping humane
goals in mind, much different from say M$ "politics" of selling, selling,
selling.

I've never ever got even a slightest feeling that attitudes of people on this
list are in any way related to the issues mentioned in Political Correctness
and Kde post. All kde developers are just humans trying to do their job well.
If some bug- or idea-posters have fear of kde-devels, then it mostly because
they don't want to annoy, rather than because kde developers are easily
annoyed people. I'm a real beginner here, and my knowledge of kde is right
now pretty basic (I'm having fun reading Sweet's KDE2Devel book), yet never
ever have I got a feeling that I'm politically incorrect or that I need to
adjust myself.

Have fun, people, and dump politics at least here (oh how right are thee, who
postulateth politics being everywhere ;-)
Cheerz,
Kuba