List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fun with the Render extension
From:       Keith Packard <keithp () keithp ! com>
Date:       2000-12-04 22:22:23

> I'm very interested in those Qt bits (if you haven't sent them to us yet). We
> will prepare a qt-2.2.3 release soon, so if there's any chance, I'd like to
> put those things in.

I'll package up my build tree as soon as I've got clipping tested, say in
a couple of hours.  It's very rough code; several shortcuts were used to
limit the amount of new code I had to write.  In particular, I'm using the
core font listing code to generate my list of families.  As the X server
and the Xft library share the same directories of fonts, this actually
works surprisingly well, as long as the user is careful to choose only
families supported by both systems.  Otherwise, Xft will pick an
unintended font leaving the system functional, but not precisely what was
expected.

I don't want to support this myself; the intent was to show you what was
possible, and show our users so that we'll have a bit more incentive to
getting it running sooner rather than later.

I was frankly surprised at how easy it was to do; my hat is off to the Qt
team for building readable code.

keithp@keithp.com	 XFree86 Core Team		SuSE, Inc.