List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Why we have created the KDE League
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () conectiva ! com ! ar>
Date:       2000-11-23 13:03:09

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Guillaume Laurent wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 November 2000 22:33, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
>
> > Yeah it's good to hear that. But my question is: Is it nescessary to
> > "coquer" the rest of the 95%? I mean, we don't have any profit if we
> > have 100%. I make this for alsolutly FUN. It doesn't interrest me how
> > mnay other people use this.
>
> Honestly, this "we do it just for fun" thing is one of the most die-hard myth
> of free software. If you really don't care about how many people are using
> your code, why releasing it at all ?

Having your code be used is part of the fun.

> And if you do care about your users, especially when writing something which
> is aimed at non-technical people like a desktop, then you better prepare
> yourself to deal with non-fun things like stupid bug reports, user requests
> for things which you consider totally uninteresting, tedious administrative
> tasks, and similar stuff.

Well, at least I just get smug and annoying, and then it stops bothering
me ;-)

> Having fun is great, but if you think writing free software should be all fun
> all the way, you won't get very far.

People play rugby for fun. Getting your bones broken is not fun. But
getting hit is part of the fun.

Call it the paradox of human fun.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@conectiva.com.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director técnico
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"Those who serve the revolution plough the sea" Bolivar