List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE art is popular :)
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2000-10-31 16:04:39

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Jonathan Belson wrote:
> >
> > Hiya

> > >(this is not relevant, they are GPL, who created them is irrelevant)
> >
> > Apologies if I'm misunderstanding your comment, but it certainly does
> > matter - just because you release YOUR code under GPL, doesn't meant that
> > you lose all rights to it - you could still release the next version under
> > a commercial license if you so desire.  (You can't of course 'unlicense'
> > the previous GPL version).
> But you can't release something, let people work on it and use their
> work as "your" work. Otherwise everyone with a wishlist bug will claim
> the code we write to implement it, will claim it's his.

Exactly.  If person A makes icon X, and person B changes icon X under
the GPL, then person A can no longer treat the changed icon X as
proprietary, but must comply with the GPL (or whatever) license.  Of
course person A can use the original icon X and change it (or not) and
make it proprietary.

So if person A uses the changed icon X and changes it, the final icon X
is still under the free license.

Ciao,

Andreas Pour

http://www.kde.com/ :  Everything KDE