List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2 is great, fantastic and a wonderful desktop
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () conectiva ! com ! ar>
Date:       2000-10-31 15:19:40

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 05:57:06PM -0300, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:
>
> > XFree takes as desktop size the largest resolution in the list, and as
> > default
> > viewport size the first one.
>
> > On XFree, there is no way to change the desktop size on runtime, but there
> > is a X extension to change the viewport size (just like ctrl+alt+-)
>
> > On X that is not XFree, all this makes no sense, since the config file is
> > different, and usually there is no way to change viewport size.
>
> > So, this doesn't seem terribly difficult, but it will be
> > XFree-specific. Which usually means Linux/BSD specific (although XFree is
> > 102 times better than what ships with Solaris/x86 or SCO, for instance.
>
> Well KDE for Linux can IMHO not always wait for commercial unixes, xserver and so on
> to catch up. KDE will still be usable on these systems.

Sure, I agree 100% :-)
However, we should probably have a --with-xfree switch to do this?

> > > I would also like to see a possibility to make one window full screen via
> > > the window manager kwin. (via Xfree extension)
>
> > > This would be really cool and usefull for many apps, if
> > > not every single one would have to implement this manually.
>
> > > Please consider this for KDE 2.x (think about not having to start another
> > > Xserver for wine apps / games)
>
> > For wine apps, there is -managed, and for games, they should use DGA :-)
>
> I know, but I would like to see a way to use kwin to make a window full
> screen using DGA or am I completely wrong with this idea?

I am no expert, but I believe a program has to do things quite differently
to use DGA, compared to normal windows?

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@conectiva.com.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director técnico
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"Those who serve the revolution plough the sea" Bolivar